Toms River, NJ asked in Bankruptcy for New Jersey

Q: I want to file bankruptcy. But according to my lease, I would have to move. Is this legal im in NJ

It says If Tenant shall, (a) file for bankruptcy or for protection against Creditors under the laws of the United States or any state; (b) enter into an arrangement or composition amount creditors; or (c) have any insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings instituted against Tenant by a creditor; then Landlord may elect to end this Lease by giving Tenant thirty (30) days written notice of termination. Tenant shall vacate the Rental Unit in accordance with Landlord’s notice of termination.

Also this is unit is LIHTC ( very low income) I’m current on my rent. We just moved here. I’m on in debt because my old apartment rent was so high. But this rent is great o have no problem paying

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: That is not how it works. You can assume your lease by agreeing to make payments going forward.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.