Lebanon, KY asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: Does the law enforcement decide if the abuser of domestic violence goes to jail? Or are there certain protocol and laws.

My ex boyfriend tried to kill me few weeks ago. As he stated he was going to before beating me with a rock and other objects. Law was notified when I came to, and they took pictures and everything. My question is why was he not arrested? I've filed for charges. They have not started investigating the incident and there are no pending charges. He's not been arrested at all. He has 3 prior arrests for assault on me. He left me laying thinking I was dead.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Generally, law enforcement makes the decision and the abuser is arrested. You may want to get some investigative reporters and make this known. You may also want to go to your county attorneys office and take a criminal complaint against him. If you are living with him, get out of there and to a safe place immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.