Nashville, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: Can I take my child across state lines without my husband's consent? We are married and have no court custody order

We are married. My husband has been having some issues with substance abuse and I want to take our child to my aunts house in another state for a while, while hopefully my husband gets clean. But I would need to go without telling him or he wouldn't let us go, but I feel it would be safer for us to not be at home and I don't have family here. Just my aunt out of state. Would I get in trouble for taking our child to my aunts without my husband's consent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick

A: No. With no custody order in place, you are free to travel within the United States with your child without the consent of your spouse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.