Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law and Animal / Dog Law for Texas

Q: Who do I call to report?

Who do I call to report animal abuse? Do I just call the police and see if they Presa charges or do I call someone else?

2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I would contact your local chapter of the SPCA. Beat cops are rarely familiar with animal cruelty laws. Your local SPCA will know the appropriate law enforcement agency and the appropriate person within that agency to report animal cruelty to. The SPCA representative will also most likely be thoroughly familiar with the applicable animal cruelty laws and can act as a screen to filter information that is unlikely to constitute a crime from that which is likely a crime.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If you suspect or witness animal abuse in Texas, you should report it to your local law enforcement agency. In many cases, you can call the non-emergency police number to report the incident. They will handle the situation and, if necessary, may involve animal control or other appropriate authorities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.