Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Mississippi

Q: A Friend that had been staying with me agreed to watch my house & dog while I was in FL. Returning everything & dog gone

Police came and said there was nothing they could do and wouldn't file a report. Is this the law?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If your friend agreed to watch your house and dog and then did not return them as agreed, this may be considered a civil matter rather than a criminal one.

In civil cases, such as disputes over property or contracts, the resolution typically involves seeking remedies in civil court, such as filing a lawsuit for breach of contract or conversion. In these cases, you would generally need to pursue the matter through the civil court system, and law enforcement may not be directly involved unless there is evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.