Evergreen, CO asked in Construction Law and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: Hello what do I do if a former tenant has filed a false lien on my property

my former tenant has falsely filed a lien on my property - claiming to have done $21,000 worth of work over a time of 5 years. What he is claiming is based on no consent to do work, no estimate, no contract and no invoice. He is mad because I had to repeatedly told him to get out. He has recently created 4 page paragraphed essay style of alleged work and what he figures he it worth. He also took 5 months of not paying rent and not getting out. Once again - no consent, no estimate, no contract, no Invoice, no paper evidence whatsoever. Could you tell me the best route to take for this situation. Please and Thankyou

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You will most likely need a lawyer. Depending on the facts you could be looking at slander of title or a quit title action of sorts. It depends on what they filed. Their are special rules regarding contractor liens.

Either way, it is most likely beyond the layman.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.