Asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence and Divorce for Maine

Q: How do I proceed with a divorce if my spouse will not sign paperwork?

My spouse is avoiding service and is refusing to sign anything. He is also been charged with three counts of domestic violence against me and is avoiding arrest and court on these issues also and now has felony warrants. There is bail conditions set that he cannot see or speak to me and one of our children as well. I am unable to serve him how do I proceed with divorce?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Guillory
Robert Guillory

A: You can file the divorce along with a motion for alternate service. You will need to submit with the motion an affidavit showing what efforts you have made to serve him as well as something from the sheriffs dep as to their efforts. You can ask that he be served by publication or any other means which may give him notice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.