Salt Lake City, UT asked in Employment Law for Utah

Q: Can my employee change my pay with one day notice in Utah?

They’re only changing my commission structure not hourly.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Utah, an employer generally has the right to change an employee's pay structure, including commission rates, with proper notice. However, the specific rules regarding notice and changes to pay can vary depending on the terms of the employment contract, any applicable collective bargaining agreements, or company policies.

Utah does not have specific laws governing the minimum notice required for changes to commission structures. In general, employers are encouraged to provide reasonable notice to employees before making significant changes to pay structures. "Reasonable notice" usually means giving employees enough time to adjust to the change without causing undue hardship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.