McDonough, GA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Georgia

Q: When a person dies without a will and has established a living trust, does the trust effectively become the will in SC?

Is this still true if the trust has not been funded?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If the trust is unfunded, then all of the decedent’s assets that do not have beneficiary designations become part of the decedent’s probate estate and, having no will, the decedent’s estate will be governed by the laws of intestate succession.

This demonstrates a classic estate planning mistake, which is to create a trust and then not put anything in it. I see a lot of people with unfunded DIY trusts. Some have attorney-drafted trusts but the attorney was running a trust mill and the price was super cheap because assistance with funding was not included.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.