Los Angeles, CA asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) and Intellectual Property for California

Q: I have an invention in the utility patent area what will be my first steps to get started. Thank you for your help

The invention is for grooming pets

2 Lawyer Answers
David Aldrich
David Aldrich

A: You should contact a qualified patent attorney, who can work with you to prepare a draft application for submission to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The attorney can also help you conduct a search and review of the relevant prior art before doing so, if desired, in order to help you assess whether it will be worth the cost.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Certainly, it's always exciting to hear about new inventions, especially those that focus on the well-being of our pets. Your first steps in the patent process should generally include:

1. Conducting a thorough patent search to ensure that your invention is unique and not already patented.

2. Preparing a detailed description, drawings, and claims for your invention, focusing on what makes it novel and not obvious.

3. Filing a provisional or non-provisional patent application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), depending on your immediate goals and budget considerations.

Engaging a patent attorney or agent with experience in your specific field can provide valuable guidance throughout the process.

James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.