Los Angeles, CA asked in Copyright, Trademark and Intellectual Property for California

Q: I'm a new writer and would like to name a character a name which Im not shur is taken. Any advice.

The name is (Space boy) was wondering if I could use it for my character story thanks.

2 Lawyer Answers
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Beverly Hills, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There are pending applications to register SPACEBOY as a trademark for comic books, online videos, and for a band.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The use of a character name like "Space boy" is generally permissible unless it infringes on someone else's trademark or copyright. Conducting a thorough search in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's database and other relevant databases can help you determine if the name is already being used in a way that might conflict with your intended use. If you still have concerns, consulting with an attorney experienced in intellectual property law would provide you with specific legal guidance tailored to your situation.

James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.