Stockton, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: If a cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket for expired tags that you have to correct and show proof of then a month

Later a cop driving thru a business parking lot spots your tags and tows your vehicle .can they legally tow it when you have been getting car ready to be smogged with 4 or 5 hundred in recent receipts showing your trying to get it legal again ,but now the cars towed and all the "storage fees are to high to get it out but since I already had a fixing it ticket from the first incident can they tow it making it impossible to get it legal now since not in my possession, from a private parking lot,when I wasn't even in the car at all,then I come out from my appointment and she(officer)tells me I'm towing your car ,ask me for my ID, I said no no crime committed,then tells me before I can get my stuff out of the car she needs to search for weapons I said it twice ,I have Givin you no reason to believe I have weapons and in front of all 3 officers and their bodycams,that I absolutely do not consent to a vehicle search,she said I'm searching it anyways and that's exactly what she did,wasitlega

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Exasperating. Not clear what your question is, are you complaining that you were cited for expired tags when they were expired? It is a fix it ticket, $25 processing fee with proof of correction. But you cannot correct because your car was impounded, not really clear why, and you need to smog it. Was the non consentual search of the vehicle legal? Probably not but then when it was impounded and towed, they could conduct a search. I would suggest consulting an attorney but you would be better to spend the money to get the car out of impound, and registered, best of luck to you. Thanks for using Justia ask a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.