Muskegon, MI asked in Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for Michigan

Q: A friend visited my home and unknowingly dropped her glasses and my 7 month old puppy chewed them up. And wants me to re

Wants me to replace her glasses for $185.

Her husband is the one who sent me the message. And states if I don't contact him by 5pm he's going to have to file a lawsuit

I haven't admitted to anything nor have I contacted him back

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: For $185!? He's going to spend more than that filing a law suit.

How you move about this depends on how much you value the relationship with your friend. Although it sounds like maybe her husband is more of a problem here.

If it were me, I would be inclined not to let money come between friendship but I would not offer to replace the glasses without a conversation with her (not her husband) that I do not appreciate his threats and if she allows for him to treat you that way on presumably her behalf, then she can consider the payment the end of the friendship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.