Fayette, AL asked in Criminal Law, Social Security and Identity Theft for Alabama

Q: My mom has been using my SSN, my sister's SSN, My dad's SSN (Ex husband) to take out loans, use for energy bills.

I'm 21 years old an my sister is 28 an so forth. For months now we been having issues with our mom who we don't talk to since she's unstable. I have proof she's been using our SSN to even give her undocumented boyfriend a job also plus she put me $1k in debt for her bills. I have her name, email, address an phone number all linked to her but with my SSN. Same with the loans. I want to take her to court and get my money back plus more some an her to also deal with the legal side of it all. How may I do that an also can I?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The first step is to gather all relevant evidence and consider filing a police report to initiate a criminal investigation. For civil remedies, you may wish to consult with an attorney experienced in identity theft cases to initiate a lawsuit for damages and to assist in the recovery of the money lost.


James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.