Buffalo, NY asked in Elder Law and Nursing Home Abuse for New York

Q: I am having issues with some paperwork from the assisted living facility my mother is in. Need palerwork looked over

My mother got paperwork needed to sign for consent to record inclusing audio. Now they also put something in saying no audio. Now the rooms are their homes and should be treated as such. They have a history of verbal abuse but never caught and the supervisor gaslights me and my mother. They have forced tests and to up her anxiety meds when she doesnt need them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jacqueline A. Cara
Jacqueline A. Cara
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Yours are serious allegations and should be carefully considered. In New York, there is an Ombudsman who may be able to help you sort out how to best handle the situation. The New York State Office of the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (LTCOP) is an advocate and resource for persons who reside in long-term care facilities such as nursing homes, assisted living, and board and care homes. Those seeking LTCOP assistance or wishing to volunteer for the program should call 1-855-582-6769.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.