Fayetteville, NC asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for North Carolina

Q: I had a cast on after surgery that has caused damage to my hand. Is there any I do?

I had surgery on my thumb CMC joint on February 22, 2023. My surgery in the joint went well. However they placed me in a cast for a month after my surgery. I emailed my doctor twice that my cast was too tight and my fingers were swollen and I was in constant pain. The doctor had me go for a cast replacement. When my cast came off I had several indentations on my wrist and arm. The cast exchange did not help. I emailed them again with the same complaint. The PA phoned me and told me to keep it elevated and take advil. Which I had been doing. I got the cast off in April. My hand is still swollen and constantly hurts. I go to therapy regularly. At my last doctors appointment she recommended that I go to a pain management doctor to be evaluated for CRPS because my hand that didn’t have the surgery was still being effected. I wanted to see if I had a legal ground to stand on.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You may have a valid medical malpractice case. Another doctor would need to evaluate what was done to see if the doctors acted below the standard of care and if their malpractice is what caused your damage. Consult with an experienced medical malpractice attorney in the state where this occurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.