Asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Can you get a child abuse felony expunged from your record

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard Louis Cagan
Leonard Louis Cagan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Whether a case can be expunged has more to do with what the outcome of the case was than what the charge was. If the case was dropped, you will have a better shot. If the outcome was a withhold of adjudication it would require a sealing for ten years if you are even eligible. That is dependent on charge type. The expungement can only be sought in Florida by someone who has no prior adjudication for any criminal charge. There are too many variables to discuss in this type of forum. I would suggest consulting with an attorney who is local to the county where the charge was to get more specific information.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In many jurisdictions, the eligibility for expungement of a child abuse felony depends on factors such as the severity of the offense, the time that has passed since the conviction, your criminal record, and other individual circumstances.

In some states, certain serious offenses, including felonies related to child abuse or offenses involving children, may be more difficult to expunge compared to other types of offenses. Some states may also have specific provisions that limit or prohibit the expungement of certain types of convictions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.