Warsaw, IN asked in DUI / DWI and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana

Q: I was in the process of moving to Indianna from Illinois and while traveling to Illinois in a gas station parking lot

I hit the gas peddle and not the break by mistake while parking my car. I am being charge with Indiana Statute 9-30-5-2(a) & (b).

I need to change my driver's license from Illinois to Indiana to include my redencey. Can I still change my car title, DL etc and my redency to Indiana? I was still under Illinois redenecy and DL when the accident occurred. I am being charged with Indinana Statute 9-30-5-2(a) & (b). I currently live in Indiana now and this accident and charge occurred 8-5-23. This happened in Chesteren IN and I have a court date in Valparaiso, Porter county 1 Nov 23

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Yes, go change your license to Indiana sooner than later. The court should not suspend your license until the initial hearing, therefore the BMV should not know of the offense. If you do not change your license, and are convicted Illinois will suspend/revoke your license and it will be considerably more difficult to get around the suspension after the fact than if the suspension was to your Indiana license.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.