Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Indiana Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana on

Q: Can I sue the state for renewing the license of an older person who hit me - they shouldn't have been driving.

Chase T Wilson answered on Oct 18, 2018

You can sue them, but the chances of that suit being successful are quite low given the immunity granted to government entities in Indiana. You'll also have the Indiana Tort Claims Notice to deal with. The best route is to pursue an insurance claim and possible a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana on

Q: I have a few questions about what is legal and what is not in Indiana pertaining to driving with an Arizona license

I just “moved” to Indiana from Arizona to be with my grandparents. I am living with my grandparents but going to college nearby. To drive in Indiana do i need to have an Indiana license? I know you have 60 days to renew your license when you move to another state but what is the LEGAL... Read more »

Andrew L. Bennett answered on Jul 25, 2018

The requirement is based on where your domiciled, not moved. If you are merely going to college in IN but still a resident in AZ and pay AZ income tax then your AZ license is sufficient. However, if you no longer have ties to AZ and would be required to file taxes in IN then you must change your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Immigration Law and DUI / DWI for Indiana on

Q: Can someone with a permanent residence in the state of IN be deported with a recent speeding ticket & OWI?

Specifically in Hamilton county

Andrew L. Bennett answered on Jul 23, 2018

That is a complicated area of law, the person needs to consult with an immigration attorney. An OWI is considered a crime of moral turpitude and could have deportation consequences.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana on

Q: Involved in an accident with concert traffic "cops" who didn't know what they were doing

- if the town allowed them to do this, can I sue the town?

Ary Avnet answered on Jul 20, 2018

You are allowed to sue to the state, city, political entity if you have file a tort claims notice. Historically, the state had immunity from being sued for torts, but when Indiana filed the Tort Claims Act, it allowed Indiana and its political entities to be sued for certain things, including... Read more »

Q: Where do I get the waiver form to fill out for my Indiana license reinstatement?

I am indigent with 4 kids and a suspended license and need to try and get my $500 reinstatement fee waiver somehow.

Andrew L. Bennett answered on Dec 6, 2017

If you have not yet gotten your reinstatement fees waived you can go online to and find the information and the forms. If you do not have a computer, then consider the public library.

Q: I need to file a waiver for my reinstatement fees but I don't know where to get the form from or how.

My license are suspended. I need to pay the fee to the bmv but im indigent and can't afford to pay it or hire a lawyer to do it for me.

Andrew L. Bennett answered on Sep 27, 2017

Go to and you will find a link that will give you the affidavit for indigence and documents for the petition as well as instructions to file. If you do not have a computer, I'm sure you local library has a computer you can use.

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Indiana on

Q: My friend just found out that he has a warrant in the State of Indiana but was never served?

It even says online that the papers were returned because no one was there to sign.

Paul Stanko answered on Feb 8, 2017

The best thing to do is contact a criminal defense attorney who handles cases in that county. If there is an active warrant, or a pending case, the attorney can help your friend from there.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Criminal Law for Indiana on

Q: In the state of Indiana can the DMV see a warrant

Paul Stanko answered on Sep 15, 2016

If you are wondering whether you may be picked up on a warrant if you go into a BMV office, the answer is yes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.