Tucson, AZ asked in Bankruptcy for Arizona

Q: I am filing chapter 7, pro se, no assets case, but wish to keep my car which I owe $4500 with a blue book value of only

…$2800. I am current on my $150 monthly car payments and can easily afford to continue it with my monthly budget. I don’t mind being upside down on it because it’s super reliable & I’ve put a lot of parts/labor into it. Please inform me of the PROPER procedure to request at the reaffirmation hearing, to persuade the judge to ‘DENY my reaffirmation’ (even though there’s no hardship)—so that I won’t be on the hook for the deficiency if something goes wrong mechanically or it gets totaled? OR is it easier to just not appear at the hearing, in order to obtain this ‘denial?’ From my research, it appears as a ‘denial’ is in my best interest, (as I can’t afford enough for a lump sum payment with the ‘redemption’ process). Your advice is appreciated, as i prep for my case. Thanks!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Diane L. Drain
Diane L. Drain
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: The following assumes you are filing in Arizona. A denial of the reaffirmation is NOT bad. It means you can keep the vehicle so long as you are current on payments at the time of the reaffirmation hearing, and that you stay current. Also, the vehicle needs to be insured. The judge denies the reaffirmation in order to protect you from the future consequences of you not being able to pay for the vehicle, or it craps out on you. That way the lender can repo the vehicle, but cannot sue you because the debt was discharged in the bankruptcy.

I highly recommend that you make an appointment to talk to a volunteer lawyer at the Arizona Bankruptcy Court's Self-Help Center. Their phone number is 602-682-4007, or 4010. Please do this BEFORE filing a bankruptcy so you can avoid any nasty surprises.

I hope this is helpful, Diane L. Drain

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you are indeed given an opportunity to reaffirm debts; reaffirming your car loan would mean that you agree to continue making payments on the car and keep it. When you attend the reaffirmation hearing, you can express to the judge your desire to have the reaffirmation agreement denied, citing your reasons, including the condition of the car, your financial situation, and any other relevant factors. It is generally advisable to attend the hearing to communicate your wishes clearly to the judge, rather than avoiding the hearing, as your active participation may help in guiding the outcome to be in your best interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.