Boston, MA asked in Domestic Violence and Elder Law for Massachusetts

Q: How can we remove our granddaughter from our deed?

She wanted to purchase our home and build an addition on it for us to live in. We allowed her to move in after she sold her house so the kids could go to school here. When she found out it would be too costly for her to do that she asked me if she should buy another house and I agreed but she could live here as long as she had to. After that things began to deteriorate and ended with my wife telling her that her husband would have leave because they were having violent squabbles. My wife said she and the kids could stay but that she felt unsafe with him in the house. While I'd like to think I was not afraid I realized that I am 74 years old and would no longer be able to put up any real defense if the need arose. They got really mad and bought another house and moved out. She does not let us see our great grandchildren and refuses to have her name removed from our deed. I have approached her several times through texts(because she won't speak to us) and she has flat out refused.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Canton, OH

A: Likely, you would have to do a partition action and buy out her interest in the property. Contact a real estate attorney in your county.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.