Crestview, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: How do I establish my paternal rights in Florida? Never married, child born out-of-state, already on birth certificate.

My daughter's mother and I have never been married. We ended our relationship when our daughter was 1, she is now 9. The mother and I both currently live in Florida, but our daughter was born out-of-state. I am already on the out-of-state birth certificate as the father. I want to ask the mother to voluntarily affirm my paternity in order to establish my paternal rights. I found form DH-432 'Acknowledgment of Paternity' by the Florida Health Department. But the language on that form suggests it's for getting me on the birth certificate. Given that I am already on the out-of-state birth certificate, I'm not sure this form applies to my situation.

How do I establish my paternal rights in Florida in my situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Destardes Moore
Destardes Moore
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You would file a Petition to Determine Paternity and For Related Relief in the county where the Mother and minor child reside. You should consult with an attorney regarding the specific facts that may be applicable to your case.

Rand Scott Lieber agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.