Philadelphia, PA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: What kind of lawyer do I need as an heir?

My brother is Power of Attorney and has moved his family into the property He was supposed to sell the inheritanted house doesn't have the money to pay He is taking loans out on property

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: As an heir facing these complex legal issues, it would be advisable to consult with a real estate attorney. A real estate attorney specializes in property matters and can help protect your interests as an heir. They can provide guidance on the actions of the Power of Attorney, ensure that your rights as an heir are upheld, and help you navigate any legal challenges related to the property, such as loans or improper use.

A: If you inherited the house, you should revoke the POA you gave to your brother and list the house you inherited for sale yourself.

A POA only lasts until you revoke it or die. If your brother is not doing what you want, revoke your POA so he no longer has your authority to do anything with the house on your behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.