Fort Myers, FL asked in Small Claims for Florida

Q: i let a friend use my credit card and agreed for her to pay me back soon after, 9 months later and she hasn’t paid

a friend asked me for a favor to let them use my best buy credit to buy a laptop for their son that is going to college, i reluctantly allowed her to after asking me many times. She was my boss at my job at the time and i felt pressured to do her the favor. We agreed on paying me back a month or two after, i have all this proof through text messages . fast forward 9 months later and she has only paid me 100 from the full 1275.. i have been on top of her to pay me back but she continues to have excuses as to why she can't pay me back after 9 months. I had to pay off my credit card myself because it was beginning to affect my credit, i told her she needs to pay me back or i will pursue legal action. now she wants to pay me back partially but i do not want to accept anything unless it is the full amount she owes to avoid discrepancies, how should i proceed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You could sue her in small claims court, but even if you get a judgment, collecting it may be difficult. So, accept what she pays you, but be sure to keep written, signed and dated documentation, including a payment agreement, receipts, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.