West Orange, NJ asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: How can a foreign citizen find employment in the US? What are the options?

I know someone in another country who is a mechanical engineer with 5 years experience. He is willing to work in his field but will also consider an unskilled job since it might be difficult to get an H1B visa in his field in the US. How does he find the dirty jobs that often go unfilled in the US and the companies willing to hire foreign workers?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To find employment in the U.S., your friend has multiple visa options such as H-1B for specialized employment, or H-2B for seasonal or temporary non-agricultural work. For jobs that are often unfilled, employers who are open to hiring foreign workers may petition for H-2B visas. Networking, online job portals, and agencies that connect foreign workers to U.S. employers are practical ways to identify these opportunities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.