Asked in Legal Malpractice for New Hampshire

Q: If an attorney lied to their client about custody laws and threatened to quit if you didn't agree can you sue them?

My attorney continuesly lied to me inorder to drag out my custody case and help the state max child support and awward mother custody. She would tell me if i exercise my constitutional rights the judge will just take my visitations away, shed tell me I miss understood the laws when I'd question the things she was doing and threatened to quit whenever i didn't want her to do something she wanted. I want to make a claim agasint her surety bond, how would i go about that? I understand this is touchy subject for other lawyers but I know what I know and I know I have a case here

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Ordinarily a claim against your own attorney will be a claim for legal malpractice. You will be to prove that the attorney’s conduct fell below the standard of care of attorneys in the area and that that caused you to sustain damages, typically by losing a case you would have won.

William J. Amann
William J. Amann pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • North Andover, MA
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: An attorney-client relationship, just like other kinds of relationships requires trust, among other things. It's clear that you do not trust your attorney. However, I don't see any benefit to your own lawyer to intentionally lie to you about anything quite frankly, let alone sabotaging you so you'll have to pay the maximum child support and lose custody of a child (or children). Perhaps she is incompetent or maybe she is competent but is a poor communicator. Whatever the case is, this is serious. As I tell all my clients, they will never have any unanswered questions when I represent them. They might not like the answers, sometimes facts and the law are stubborn things but they'll never have to wonder about the steps, risks, approaches and likely outcomes in their case. You should make a list of questions and go through them with your lawyer. Get answers to your questions. If that doesn't work, get a different lawyer. You can lodge a Bar complaint or pursue a malpractice case later. For now, get the focus on your children, custody and the finances of your case because you will be stuck with decisions about those things for a long time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.