Wellington, OH asked in Divorce and Child Support for Ohio

Q: My ex husband lied on his signed affidavit of income & expenses. What are my options to hold him accountable?

I have the necessary information (tax returns) to prove he is lying about his income. He has actually lied in all three affidavits. This is for a child support modification in Lorain County, Oh.

They have dragged this out for almost 6 years. I am now representing myself because I can no longer afford to pay a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You will need documentation to prove he lied. Then you will need to cross examine him regarding the questions he lied about , get him to confirm his affidavit answers then produce the conflicting documentation (assuming that you lay down appropriate foundation and can authenticate the exhibits. These are techniques lawyers spend a semester or so just to get the basics. No lawyer can teach you every step in this forum. You say you cannot afford an attorney but when it comes to trial you cannot afford NOT to have one. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.