Kodak, TN asked in Collections for Tennessee

Q: Can a judge lower the amount owed on a debt if a verbal deal was already made with collections prior to the court date?

I made a deal with Nathan & Nathan for 3 installments in return for them to settle the debt and drop the judgement. Only papers were served, no judgement was awarded yet. So I'm wondering if when I show up to court on the date in my served papers if judges (ever do or can) still lower the owed amount since a verbal agreement was already made by me with Nathan & Nathan? I'm not sure if this is a good plan or not, but my thoughts are to bring evidence to court that I paid the first installment. I also have a recording of Nathan & Nathan stating our verbal agreement that I could bring as well. Nathan & Nathan said they postponed the judgement to December, and said since it will all be settled in October, they will then file a Motion to Dismissal at which time the judgement attempt would be dropped. Thoughts? Thank you so much for your help on this too! Blessings! =)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Judges are not likely to change the terms of the agreement. And, depending on the terms of the agreement, they may have no authority to do so.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.