San Antonio, TX asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Texas

Q: Can I seal, expunge, or appeal a guilty disposition for Failure to Appear in a traffic ticket?

I apparently plead guilty to a traffic ticket failure to appear and now it is making it difficult to find a job with a failure to appear on my record.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Addressing a guilty disposition for Failure to Appear (FTA) in a traffic ticket in Texas might involve exploring alternative approaches, as options like sealing, expunging, or appealing the disposition may be limited. Sealing or expunging records typically apply to cases that didn't result in a guilty plea, while appeals usually challenge procedural errors or legal issues during the trial process. Given that you voluntarily pleaded guilty, it could be challenging to appeal the disposition. Instead, focusing on addressing the record's impact on job prospects could be more practical. Transparency during the hiring process and emphasizing your efforts to rectify the matter might be beneficial.

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A motion for new trial to set aside a final judgement is POSSIBLE in any case, but the time limit to file such a motion is very limited. If more than 30 days have elapsed since your plea/judgment, the answer to your question is no, you cannot appeal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.