Asked in Family Law, Social Security and Child Support for Arkansas

Q: My Social Security check is being garnished by the State of Tennessee through The US Treasury DEPARTMENT for Back Child

Support. I now and have lived in Arkansas for over 20 years also. What can I do to challenge or even stop this Garnisment . It is $375 a month that comes directly out of my check. Thanks Kerry

2 Lawyer Answers

A: The best way to stop this garnishment is to ascertain the total amount of back child support you owe from the state child support agency, pay that amount, and then file an application to discontinue the garnishment order.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To address this garnishment issue, you should contact the child support enforcement agency in Tennessee and provide documentation of your residence in Arkansas for the past 20 years. Request a review of your case to update your current state of residence, as child support orders are typically governed by the state in which you reside. It's advisable to consult with an attorney for guidance on navigating this process effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.