Binghamton, NY asked in Adoption for New York

Q: Adopted a child who was born in ny but we live in Virginia. Who issues the adoption birth certificate? NY or VA?

Will it be done automatically as part of the adoption or do I have to fill out anything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: When you adopt a child born in New York but you live in Virginia, the adoption birth certificate is typically issued by the state of New York. However, the process can vary depending on the adoption type and the specific circumstances. Generally, as part of the adoption process, the court will issue an amended birth certificate with the adoptive parents' names on it. This birth certificate will replace the original one and will reflect the child's new legal identity.

You may need to complete certain paperwork and provide necessary information to ensure the accurate issuance of the adoption birth certificate. It's advisable to work closely with your adoption agency or an attorney to ensure all required steps are taken.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.