Laurelton, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: If you have zero employment do they consider SSI on top of the minimum wage for cross motion child support increase

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If the other side has filed an application with the court seeking to compel you to pay / adjust your child support payment obligation, the court has to determine your income setting for purposes of the child support guidelines. If you are disabled and receiving SSI and presumably, she is receiving benefits for your child as a result of your disability, the next question is whether she is going to claim that you are still able to work / are working so that the court can impute to you a greater income setting.

Not surprisingly, this is not a simple inquiry, and my suggestion is that you meet with a family law specialist to discuss the issues outstanding and to let him / her handle it for you. If you screw it up, you will most likely not get a 2nd chance to undo the damage from what you filed on your own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.