Louisville, KY asked in Foreclosure for Kentucky

Q: My Mom received a Lis Pendens notice on her home. It is from a bank she has never had any affiliation with.

The notice states they are acting on behalf of US Bank, who she has also never had any accounts with. They name my Dad first in the notice, but he passed away in 2011. What step should she take first?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nick Curtis Thompson
Nick Curtis Thompson
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: See an attorney immediately. After the home is sold at an auction you cannot get it back. It may be there is a loan out there he signed for. It may be identity theft. But you really need an appointment immediately. At the start of a case there are defenses you lose if you don't assert them and you ignore the court or litigation. You can lost other defenses by not asserting them at the start.

Even if you owe this debt it is easier and cheaper to handle these things at the early.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.