Orange Park, FL asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: husband deceased. Parents trying to foreclose my house. I was never informed of a mortgage. Told home was paid for. HELP

was only ever told "if you sell the home we get what we paid for it" by his parents. Now they are coming after me for late fees and interest from a home purchased before we met back in 2010. Met late husband in 2016 and was married oct 2019. I feel I was deceived and made to sign probate papers unaware of a mortgage owed must less years behind. How is this legal? Shouldnt I had been informed of mortgage by them or at probate??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The mortgage holder is a secured creditor. They have the ability to foreclose on a house for the unpaid balance regardless of whether they have made a claim as a creditor in the probate. All hope is not lost though. There are still many options you can explore to fix your problem - refinance, sell the house and cash in your equity, modify the loan, file an answer with defenses to make sure you have time to make alternative living arrangements. Schedule a free consultation to make sure you explore all of your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.