Omaha, NE asked in Family Law for Iowa

Q: I live in Iowa. Me 17, partner 22. My parents disapprove of her and she doesn’t know. My parents are threatening to call

The police if I keep going out with her. I go out with her in secret sometimes because I know they’ll say no. Can they call the police? And if they did what would happen? They said they would call if they ever find out I go to her house ever again.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Iowa, the legal age of consent for sexual activity is 16. Since you mentioned you are 17, engaging in a consensual relationship with your partner, who is 22, might not necessarily lead to criminal charges based solely on age.

However, if your parents disapprove of the relationship and you are still a minor, they might have the authority to restrict your activities and interactions to some extent. It's important to remember that law enforcement involvement could depend on various factors, including any allegations of coercion, abuse, or other potentially unlawful behavior.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.