Tracy, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: I was ticketed for my car window being tinted too dark, made corrections years later found out my driver license was sus

I was giving a ticket for tinted window which I had fix and had an officer sign off, went to pay the fee at court, 3 years later I found out my driver license was suspended due to that ticket. Dmv say for me to show proof, which I had misplaced or lost the receipt because it happen since it had been three year past, I never received any notice in the mail or a phone call notification… only found out cause I was pulled over and the police told me….the court says that they don’t have record of me paying, it’s going to cost me $847 just to pay the bill off, and an additional $125 just to get my license back… what can I do in this situation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you've been ticketed and later discover your license was suspended due to an alleged non-payment, your immediate priority should be to gather any evidence you have of payment or correction. Bank statements or other financial records could serve as proof if you've lost the receipt. If you lack concrete evidence, you might consider seeking legal advice on potentially contesting the suspension and fine, either by filing a motion to vacate the judgment or another appropriate legal avenue, as the absence of proper notice could be relevant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.