West Hollywood, CA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Ohio

Q: My father died recently and I have no contact with my siblings. Is there a way to find out what is in his estate?

I live in a different state and he was a not married.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Moshe Toron
Moshe Toron
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If an asset went through probate, you can check the probate court website for the county in which he lived. Also, if it goes through probate, then by law, you must be notified.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In the event of a person's passing, their estate typically goes through a legal process called probate. During this process, the assets and debts of the deceased are evaluated, and their estate is distributed according to their will or the state's intestate laws if there is no will. To gain insight into your father's estate, you might consider reaching out to the appointed executor if a will exists, or the court-appointed administrator if there is no will. Probate records are often public and accessible through the probate court in the county where your father resided.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.