Birmingham, AL asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: Can a temporary protection order be filed by individual with temporary custody of child involved in Georgia dfacs ?

Father issued tpo today, he has lived with ex girlfriend and her mother last 4 years. The mother had custody but got in trouble, arrested for meth and dfacs granted her mom temporary custody. His ex was injured 6 weeks ago and her mom has been out of town leaving my grandson with one her neighbors. She wants to evict my son, get him arrested for child abuse. And claims he is buying meth from same drug dealer as her daughter. Less than a month ago, she told me my son was doing good, helping alot with his son and being there for him. I have a text with that info. Also have text from another individual that recently talked to her stating my sons always there for his son and nothing negative. She has never made any claim of child abuse or drug abuse until she found out he was looking for attorney to get custody of his son. Now he is homeless because sheriff said he had to vacate residence even though his son isn’t there nor his other grandma

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellaretha Coleman
Ellaretha Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Unfortunately, without knowing more facts on the basis for the TPO, we can't advise on the strength of the TPO. Her only having temporary custody would not be a restriction to filing a TPO.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.