Kearney, NE asked in Traffic Tickets for Nebraska

Q: if you pay a ticket you received for failure to yield can the county attorney then change your charge to careless drivin

i got a ticket for failure to yield, I paid it, then in the mail I received a notice from buffalo county nebraska attorney saying they changed the charge to careless driving and I had to pay a bigger fine

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Nebraska, it's generally not common for a county attorney to unilaterally change a traffic violation charge after you've already paid the initial ticket. Once you've paid a ticket for a specific offense, it's often considered resolved. However, laws and procedures can vary, so there might be specific circumstances or legal provisions that allow the county attorney to make such changes.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.