Worcester, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: Can an accomplice to an attempted murder charge have his record expunged? He was not the aggresor.

I was incarcerated over 15 years ago with a friend who commited this crime and being with him,I was sentenced too.I was given a 6 year sentence and have been free for over 15 years without getting in any trouble whatsoever.And would like to get a better job and move on with my life.This blemish in my background closes so many doors for me.Is there anything I can do to have it expunged since I was not the aggresor? I was the one trying to stop my friend from hurting the other guy and that did not help me at all in court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas Shack III
Thomas Shack III pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Under Massachusetts law, generally, individuals convicted of certain non-violent offenses may be eligible to have their records sealed (not necessarily expunged though) after a certain period of time. However, offenses such as attempted murder are considered violent crimes and are therefore not typically eligible for sealing. It's not impossible but it is highly unlikely to succeed. If you hire a lawyer to assist you, start the discussion with the possibility of sealing the record, not expunging it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.