Littleton, CO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: Is there a proper way to inform landlord that I receive government assistance? (In Colorado)

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Colorado, effectively communicating with your landlord about receiving government assistance is important for maintaining transparency and a positive rental relationship. Consider initiating an open and honest conversation at a convenient time for both parties. Explain that you receive government assistance to help with your rental payments, emphasizing your commitment to meeting your financial responsibilities as a tenant. Inquire about the landlord's policies regarding tenants who receive assistance and be prepared to provide any necessary documentation to verify your situation. Address any concerns your landlord might have and offer reassurance that the assistance is intended to ensure consistent and timely rent payments. Following up with a brief written summary of the discussion can help ensure clarity moving forward. Remember that fair housing laws protect tenants from discrimination based on their source of income, including government assistance, so approaching the conversation respectfully helps foster a productive dialogue.

Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you are receiving the assistance and you do not have a contractual requirement to inform your landlord, then you may not need to inform them. It all depends on your specific situation. Many assistance programs pay the landlord directly while some may help to supplement your income.

If you must inform your landlord, you should document the process with a formal letter, email, or other. In addition, you should add the human element of a phone call. While most landlords will never admit to discriminating against tenants who receive housing assistance, it does happen. As such, you need to take steps to exercise your rights as a renter if the worst were to happen. Document, document, document.

Colorado has many tenant-friendly laws. You should take the time to learn your rights. On the flip-side, you should make an effort to help your landlord. When everyone is happy life tends to be easier.

Please be aware that any answer is based on all the events occurring in Colorado. Further, please be aware that this is not legal advice. This is generic information intended to help the reader develop questions to ask an attorney when they are ready. Each case is different. Anyone reading this answer in need of legal advice should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.