Birmingham, AL asked in Small Claims for Alabama

Q: I found a abandoned vehicle and I fixed it and tried to obtain a title and found out that the car was stolen and the

Insurance company labeled it as salvage title what do I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Discovering that the abandoned vehicle you repaired was stolen and carries a salvage title requires immediate action. Firstly, report the situation to local law enforcement, providing them with all relevant details about the vehicle's history and your repairs. Cooperate fully with their investigation, returning the vehicle if required. Engage with legal counsel experienced in criminal and property law to navigate your obligations and potential legal ramifications. It's essential to document all interactions, transactions, and repairs related to the vehicle. If the vehicle has a salvage title due to insurance involvement, communicate with the insurance company to explain your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.