Seattle, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: What can I legally do about mold in my kids bedroom and weakened floors in my apartment, landlord refuses to fix.

My apartment has weakened floors, a mold issue and the landlord gives excuses on when it’ll be fixed. I’m still paying rent but behind due to injuries sustained earlier this year. I don’t make much money as I barely get by. I’m curious as to what steps I can take to get this taken care of. I’m sleeping in the living room as well as my partner and my daughter is in my room so she has privacy.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Oregon attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a month. I could only speak for the mold issues. You could reach out to attorneys to try to set up a free initial consult. I'm not familiar with Oregon case law on mold, but nationwide, they are difficult cases - many injury firms are reluctant to handle them. If you have any medical documentation related to mold exposure, you could reach out to attorneys. In terms of habitability and the lease, a landlord-tenant attorney should advise.

As a sidenote, you mention financial difficulty due to injuries. I hope you're okay and on your way toward recovery. That raises two issues. Does your situation qualify you for any type of housing assistance? And the other issue is how did your injury arise? You could speak with Oregon attorneys about that. Whether or not you have grounds for a case based on liability or workers' comp, you may want to explore your eligibility for disability if your injuries impair your 100% work ability. You could look into legal aid societies as a starting point for direction on the landlord-tenant issues.

I hope things take a turn for the better for you. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.