Philipsburg, PA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: When someone was removed from deed years ago, does their next of kin have any rights to the house?

My moms ex BF was removed from the deed, he willingly signed off. 2 years ago she added me to the deed with her. Now the ex BF is in Hospice and his daughter is inquiring about the house. Does she have any legal right to it since he willingly signed off of the home?

1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: When an Estate is created under PA law, either by probating a will, or a guardianship, etc., the new personal representative can 'reach back' for up to four years to recover transfers of assets that did not return "fair market value" the one whose property makes up the Estate.

That can be a "tough row", especially when the transfer in to a subject (here, the ex-BF) was for free as well.

You don't say exactly how long ago the ex- gave up his interest.

And in any event, my best advice is to consult with an experienced PA lawyer, giving him full facts, to get your best path forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.