Sylmar, CA asked in Criminal Law and Small Claims for California

Q: Can I report thefts by false pretense year later and how do I do that?

I had a minor accident last year and it he person who was with me at the time of the accident, said that he can fix that easily. I didn’t had too much money and this seemed as a good idea at a time. I gave him money in few instances because he was allegedly buying the parts.

He was promising that vehicle is almost done and than MIA.

When I finally located my vehicle, nothing was done and it was in worse shape than prior, not fixable leaving me without vehicle. Per witness statement, which I recorded, the individual who was supposed to fix the vehicle, purposely damaged it even more.

Ad well as emptying my gas tank and taking out of the vehucje things of any worth.

I do have a knowledge of this person serving prison sentence for committing commercial burglary, and that’s the reason why I gave him chance after chance and to pay me back ( asking him to pay back only 20 dollars weekly)

He does have an income, but refuses to pay anything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, you generally have a three-year statute of limitations for theft by false pretense, so reporting the crime a year later is within that window. To initiate the process, you should file a report with your local law enforcement agency, providing all evidence you have, such as the recorded witness statement, financial transactions, and any correspondence. If you possess sufficient evidence to demonstrate the intent to defraud, the individual in question may face criminal charges, and you may also have civil remedies to recover damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.