Murphysboro, IL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can I submit an appearance form with my e file if it is indicating the other parent will attend and they signed it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Illinois, submitting an appearance form is a critical step in legal proceedings, especially for matters like child custody. When both parties sign this form, it signals your active participation in the case. The exact process may vary depending on the court and local rules. Generally, you should fill out the form correctly, ensuring it meets formatting and content guidelines. Verify if the court accepts electronic filing (e-filing) and follow their instructions for submission. Be aware of any service requirements, such as notifying the other party. Staying actively engaged in your case by attending hearings, following court orders, and maintaining communication with your attorney (if you have one) is essential.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.