Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: Land owner shut my power off, can they do that?

Am a caregiver, caretaker of property. Owner has dementhia,daughter is POA. She shut power off.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Washington State, the ability of a property owner or their legal representative (like a power of attorney) to shut off utilities, including power, can depend on various factors, including the terms of any agreements in place and the specific circumstances.

If you have an agreement in place that allows you to reside on the property and receive certain utilities as compensation for your caregiving services, the shutdown of essential utilities like power without your consent may be subject to legal review. In some cases, this could potentially be considered an unlawful eviction or a violation of your rights as a tenant or caregiver.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.