Phoenix, AZ asked in Adoption and Family Law for Arizona

Q: Can CPS take your newborn child from you after you give birth if you only have doctor percribed methadone is your system

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Arizona, as in many other states, Child Protective Services (CPS) can become involved in cases where they have concerns about the safety and well-being of a child. When a newborn is exposed to substances, including prescribed medications like methadone, during pregnancy or at birth, CPS may conduct an assessment to determine whether the child is at risk of harm.

The outcome of such assessments can vary depending on various factors, including the specific circumstances, the well-being of the child, and the mother's compliance with any prescribed medications or treatment plans. It's essential for parents in such situations to cooperate with CPS and follow any recommendations or requirements put forth by CPS or the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.