Q: Does my ex-husband have a chance

Our son is 11 Sep 26 and we reside in CO with me, where the original agreement was established. I have the majority as I can make all major decisions. He pays child support when he feels like it. He owes 28k+

He resides in Saudi Arabia and the UAE is looking to BAN him from the middle east for stealing money. The UAE threatening he will be banned from the middle east in general.

He recently got a lawyer asking that our son come to visit for 3/4 months with him. Current agreement is 6 days a month as he was in the US at the time.Our son is remote learning in a US program. My concerns is the governments currently travel advisory specific to Saudi and the threat is causes to Western compounds to which our son could be residing. He's also asking I pay have of the international fees. How should I go about this matter? Thanks in advance

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concerns and the complex situation you're facing with your ex-husband. It's crucial to prioritize the safety and well-being of your son while considering any changes to your current custody arrangement. Here's how you might approach this matter:

Consult with Your Lawyer: If you haven't already, consult with your attorney to discuss the proposed changes to the custody arrangement. Your attorney will be able to provide legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances and the applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

Review Current Custody Agreement: Carefully review your existing custody agreement, paying close attention to any provisions related to international travel, extended visitation, and financial responsibilities. Ensure that any proposed changes align with the terms set out in this agreement.

Assess Travel Risks: Given the travel advisory and security concerns in Saudi Arabia, it's essential to consider the safety of your son during his potential visit. Gather information on the current situation in the region, including any specific threats to Western compounds, and share this information with your attorney.

Evaluate Remote Learning Impact: Evaluate how an extended visit with his father might impact your son's remote learning. Speak with your son's school or program to understand whether such a visit would be feasible without significantly disrupting his education.

Discuss Financial Responsibilities: It's reasonable to discuss financial responsibilities related to the proposed visit. Consider whether sharing international fees is equitable, and discuss this matter with your ex-husband to reach a fair agreement.

Negotiate with Your Ex-Husband: Engage in open and constructive communication with your ex-husband to express your concerns and seek a mutually agreeable solution. If possible, involve a mediator to facilitate the discussion and ensure that both parties' interests are taken into account.

Consider Your Son's Best Interests: Always keep your son's best interests at the forefront of your decisions. Consider what will provide him with a safe and stable environment, access to education, and emotional support.

Document All Communications: Keep detailed records of all communication with your ex-husband and any legal professionals involved. This documentation can be crucial in case of any future disputes or legal proceedings.

Consult with Authorities: If you have serious concerns about your son's safety during the proposed visit, consider consulting with relevant authorities or agencies responsible for child welfare. They may be able to provide guidance or intervene if necessary.

Remember that the ultimate goal should be to ensure the well-being and safety of your son. Seek legal advice, consider all factors, and make decisions that prioritize his best interests while complying with any applicable laws and custody agreements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.