Colorado International Law Questions & Answers

Q: Do international companies located outside the USA have to pay Sales tax in colorado for goods purchased.

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Tax Law for Colorado on
Answered on Oct 6, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
Unlike VAT, sales tax is paid by the vendor at point of sale. So, if the purchase was in Colorado, the vendor must report and pay sales tax on the sale unless there is an exemption under state law. Such exemptions often exist for non-profit charitable entities with § 501(c) status, but the exemptions are controlled by Colorado state law. You should consult a lawyer in Colorado for details.

Q: Living overseas for 11 years. Married in Thailand. Can my wife claim rights to property in Colorado?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and International Law for Colorado on
Answered on Apr 1, 2017
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
Potentially, yes. If you were married when the homes were purchased, they are automatically included in the marital estate in CO. If they were purchased prior to the marriage, the appreciation (and potentially the whole property) would be included in the marital estate. Note, the Thai property division laws do not necessarily control asset divisions in the US or Colorado.

The wrinkle is the international aspect of the impending divorce. A Thai court has no jurisdiction over US or...

Q: What are my options

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and International Law for Colorado on
Answered on Jan 18, 2017
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
Family law is exclusively state law. There is limited international enforcement of custody, kidnapping, and other matters, but these are very rarely utilized. You can seek a court order in Colorado which can establish support if you ex ever re-enters the US or is a US citizen/resident. However, if your ex is making 8K a year, the support (if any) would be very low (i.e. less than $100 a month). Colorado does favor 50-50% custody, but in an international context (esp. with a concern that the...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.